There are three open computer labs to serve students, faculty, staff, and community residents. Open labs are available at all Lake-Sumter campus libraries, see campus for schedule.
Services and software:
- Assistance with basic hardware and software questions
- Windows 7 (South Lakeonly)
- Windows 8 (Leesburg and Sumter)
- Microsoft Office 2010
- Microsoft Office 2013 (Leesburg and Sumter)
- Course-related software
- High-speed Internet access
- Black and white printing at 10 cents per page, color printing at 20 cents per page (color printing at Leesburg and South Lake only)
- USB ports and CD and DVD drives
- Scanners at the Sumter and South Lake libraries
- iMacs available at Leesburg campus library
- Laptop computers available at Leesburg and South Lake for in-house checkout
Acceptable Use of Techology
According to LSSC's Information Systems Resources policy, resources are expected to be used in a responsible, efficient, ethical, and legal manner in accordance with the mission of LSSC.
Although the libraries do not monitor or censor the use of computers, library patrons should understand that the open display of some materials may create an intimidating, hostile, or offensive environment for others. Library patrons should respect that others may not want to be inadvertently exposed to images they find offensive. Library staff reserve the right to mediate complaints about the display of material and enforce this policy.
Quiet Study rooms are available on a first come first serve basis at Leesburg and Sumter campus libraries.
At South Lake campus, Cooper Memorial Library study rooms can be reserved. There are 8 private study rooms for 2-4 people, plus a conference room that seats 12. To reserve a study room, contact the reference desk at 352-536-2275.
This policy will be reviewed and updated as necessary in order to reflect the changing environment in the college libraries.
Policy Last Revised May 2014
The Leesburg campus open computer lab is located in the library and may be used any time the library is open. The lab provides:
- 36 desktop computers with Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2010
- Two iMacs with OS X
- A classroom with an additional 23 computers providing Windows 8 and Microsoft Office 2013
The library classroom is used primarily for library instruction classes, but is also accessible when classes are not in session and can be used as overflow space as needed. Library staff members are available to assist with computer-related questions.
The Center for Teaching and Learning at the Leesburg campus also has computers available, along with math and English tutors. Theyprovide a scanner and an Optelec machine for reading assistance.
Public access computers are available in the following locations:
- Cooper Memorial Library (on both floors) and in two labs on the second floor which can be used as overflow when classes are not in session
- UCF's open computer lab, located in Building 2, Room 209, is open to LSSC students
- In the Learning Center in Building 1, along with math and English tutors.
Cooper Memorial Library computer labs can be booked for library instruction, Blackboard instruction, or final exams. Room 202A has 15 computers and 202B has 20 computers. The rooms can also be combined for large classes.
Library community rooms are also available for free to faculty or to any non-profit groups for presentations to large groups. Each room holds up to 75 people and includes tables, chairs, a laptop with projector and access to the kitchen. Food and drink are allowed.
Laptop carts are available in the library and can be delivered to classes on the South Lake campus.
Contact Tommy Fagan at 352-536-2257 or via email at email@example.com.
All of the PCs in the Sumter Campus Library provide open lab capability. Library staff are available to assist students with computer-related questions.