The Lake-Sumter libraries serve distance learning students with many online resources and services.
A library card is not needed for students to use online books, magazines, journals or newspapers. Simply log on using your X-ID as the Borrower ID and your six-digit birth date (MMDDYY) as the PIN.
- Search LSSC's online catalog to find books, ebooks, and government documents. LSCC provides a large number of ebooks that can be checked out and viewed online.
- You can also search for books in any Florida college library and request them through the catalog. Books are sent to LSCC via a statewide courier service. See How to Find Books for help.
- Search the online catalogs of libraries near your home. Your local public, college, or university library may have material you can use. LSSC has agreements with Lake County Library System, Sumter County Library System, the Florida College System, and the Florida State University System that allow LSCC students to borrow material by showing a current LSSC library card.
You can visit or telephone any campus library during regular library hours:
South Lake Campus Library (352) 536-2275
Sumter Campus Library (352) 568-3074
Chat and e-mail help are available through the statewide Ask-A-Librarian service. Hours for live chat assistance are:
10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
An e-mail form is available 24 hours per day, seven days per week. An LSSC librarian will usually respond to e-mail questions within one work day.
- If you can't find enough online resources for your research, the libraries will mail books to you. You are responsible for return postage and for returning material by the due date. Call the Leesburg library at (352) 365-3563 to request or send an e-mail through the Ask-A-Librarian service.
- For material unavailable at the LSSC or the Florida College System libraries, you may request that the items be borrowed from another library through interlibrary loan. Certain items such as reference books, popular fiction, movies, audiovisual material and recent computer application manuals are very difficult to obtain. The libraries will not borrow textbooks required for LSCC classes.
- LSSC pays for the costs of interlibrary loan. For this reason, first please check the catalog to see if the book is available online, or check the Journal Finder to see if the magazine, journal or newspaper is available online. The libraries will not send an item students can access online.
- See the Interlibrary Loan Policy for more information.